Wednesday 2 November 2016

The 25 Most Common Verbs in English

What are the most common English verbs? In this simple and fun lesson, I’ll show you the 25 most common verbs. You need to know these (and you need to know them well!) if you want to become a fluent English speaker. Learn the present, past, and past participle forms of the verbs. I’ll give three example sentences for each verb. Some of the verbs in this lesson include: have, make, do, see, know, and look. Don’t miss this essential English vocabulary lesson!



"Be": "be", "am", "is", "are"; "was", "were"; "been". "She is a fantastic writer.", "They were home all day yesterday.", "I've been re-reading Harry Potter lately."

"Have": "have", "has"; "had"; "had". "He has two brothers.", "We had a great time last night.", "I'm having a cup of coffee."

"Do": "do", "does"; "did"; "done". "Have you done your homework?", "I'll do the laundry later.", "I did well on my test!"

"Go": "go", "went", "gone". "Where did you go last night?", "We're going to Niagara Falls this weekend.", "See you later! I'm going home!"

"Say": "say", "said", "said". "Wait. What did she say?", "You said I could trust you!", "Don't say anything." Shh.

"Get"; "got"; "got" (British English), "gotten" (American English). "He got a new job!", "You should get new shoes.", "I think I'm getting a headache."

"Make": "make", "made", "made". "We've made some mistakes.", "The kids are making a lot of noise.", "Look! I made a model car!"

"Know": "know", "knew", "known". "I don't know your name.", "We've known each other for 8 years.", "Hey. Do you know who this is?"

"Think": "think", "thought", "thought". "What do you think about this?", "She'll think this is a terrible idea.", "Let me think about that for a minute."

"See": "see", "saw", "seen". "I'll see you later.", "Has anyone seen Jack today?", "Have you seen this video?"

"Take": "take", "took", "taken". "She's taking a philosophy class this semester.", "I would never take anything from him!", "I'm going to take a shower."

"Come": "come", "came", "come". "He had never come later before.", "Hey. Mariana is coming over later.", "Wait for me! I'm coming!"

"Want": "want", "wanted", "wanted". "Come on. What do you want for your birthday?", "I've always wanted to have a dog.", "Who wants to see Star Wars again? Anyone?"

"Use": "use", "used", "used". "I've never used this before.", "Have you ever used this before?", "What do you use this for? Oh."

"Find": "find", "found", "found". "Did you find the restaurant?", "Have they found life on Mars yet?", "I can't find my keys."

"Give": "give", "gave", "given". "She'll be given her diploma tomorrow.", "Who gave you that pen? Who gave you that pen? That's my pen.", "I'll give this to you if you promise to give it back."

"Tell": "tell", "told", "told". "I won't tell your secret to anyone. I swear.", "Tell her the truth!", "Wait. What did you tell your mom about me?"

"Work": "work", "worked", "worked". "Where do you work?", "She has worked here since 2014.", "How does this thing work?"

"Call": "call", "called", "called". "I'll call you after work.", "Your mom called while you were out.", "Hey. Did you just call me?"

"Ask", "asked", "asked". "Don't be afraid to ask questions.", "She asked where I lived.", "You can ask me anything. Anything."

"Try": "try", "tried", "tried". "I'm trying to find a new job.", "She's been trying to contact me.", "Have you tried learning English on YouTube? Hmm?"



No comments:

Post a Comment